The November 2020 release adds a lot of quality of life improvements and fixes to modelDBA. We have two major user interface improvements. First, I’ve added the ability to zoom in and out of database diagrams (both the large database diagram and individual query diagrams). Second, you can now resize query diagrams and the query results panel, making it easier to see the information you need. Speaking of query diagrams, there are a ton of fixes for both the query visualizations and running queries themselves.
Thanks to everyone for your feedback and feature requests! Check out the details below.
Download the latest version of modelDBA here. This release includes the following upgrades.
Database Diagram Zoom
- Zoom in and out of the database and query diagrams (thank you Earl and Phil for the feature request!)
- You can control the zoom level in one of three ways:
- The new controls on the bottom-right of the diagram.
- Scrolling on the diagram.
- Keyboard shortcuts.
- CTRL/CMD and + to zoom in.
- CTRL/CMD and – to zoom out.
- CTRL/CMD and 0 to reset to the default zoom level.
Resize SQL Editor panels
- Resize SQL editor panels to see the information you need at the right time (thank you Nikita for the feature request!)
- You can resize any of the panes to see more results or get a better look at the database diagram.
- Right-click on a result tab to copy the related query (thanks Pawan for the feature request!)
- You can also now close multiple result tabs at once by right-clicking on a result tab and selecting one of the new close options (close all, close others, and close tabs to the left or right).
- Fixed bug where sometimes only half of a query was correctly identified when executing the current query.
- Fixed displaying query results when two output columns have the same name.
- Nested SELECTs and CASE statements now display correctly in the query visualization (thanks Chris and Pawan for the bug report!)
- Output table columns are displayed in a more consistent way, along with their column alias.
- Visualizations of output tables now correctly resize when column names or aliases get longer.
- Visualizations of subqueries and common table expressions now include an ID number, so that they’re easier to cross-reference.
- Fixed a bug where quoted table names in a JOIN would cause the query to not show the correct visualization (thanks Chris for the bug report!)
- Save modelDBA state for the next time you open the app.
- Remember the size and position of the window (thanks Sean for your feedback on this!)
- Remember whether the navigation menu was collapsed or not.
- Fixed select all keyboard shortcuts (CTRL+a/CMD+a) for all form fields.
- Smoother window resizing.
- Improved initial registration flow.
- Fixed creating tables with a date function as a default value.
Do you have a feature request for modelDBA? Found a bug 😬 ? Let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your feedback makes modelDBA better for everyone.
You can get the latest version of modelDBA here. Or, just open up modelDBA on your machine and you’ll be prompted to upgrade.